Shore Buddies Ocean Hero of the Week: Orion Shearer
Hello again fellow ocean lovers!
I’m Stephen Seagull and I’m back for more Ocean Hero of the Week news! This week I am so excited to introduce you to an incredible 9 year old boy who took matters into his own hands to help the ocean! He didn’t like all the plastic cans and bottles he saw in the environment and decided to take a stand!
1. Hello, I’m Stephen Seagull, and I’m from the beach! What’s your name and where are you from?
My name is Orion Shearer and I am from Holyoke Mass
2. How long have you been passionate about Ocean Protection?
I have been passionate about ocean protection for about 2 years
3. Ocean Protection is a pretty big deal to me and my friends since we live at the ocean. What event happened in your life that made you want to pursue Ocean Protection?
The event happened when we were driving home when this Street near the pond. There was so much trash and plastic rolling in there. I knew I had to make a difference
4. What specific cause are you a part of/did you create? Tell us about what it accomplishes.
I created my business called ODS recycling. It has recycled over 110,000 cans and bottles.. I also save can tabs for Shriners hospital.
5. I know I’ve been flying around longer than you (we don’t have to give actual numbers of how old I am) but what do you believe is the state of our oceans today versus when you started pursuing ocean protection?
I think what I've been doing is making a huge difference. Think about it i have saved over 100,00 cans and it only takes one can to get a turtle sick.
6. What tip do you have for everyone to help keep plastics out of the ocean?
Always throw your plastic in the recycling bin and never in the trash.
7. It’s been so great interviewing with you. I have one last question for you. What would you tell someone who is struggling to stand up for a cause they are passionate about?
I would say always follow your passion for what you care about.
For more information about Orion and his adventures, visit https://jjaworski186.wixsite.com/odsrecycling?fbclid=IwAR15_ToYdKYydagJhda7fBxFyWEgWVgxdG4fqOXipjPL7o9XWN_YsUBkojE
Do you know someone who should be featured as a Shore Buddies Ocean Hero? We would love to hear from you. Please email us at email@example.com who, why and how we can get in contact.